The Albanese Government delivered its first Federal Budget in October 2022. Some of the key budget measures that impact workplaces are:
- implementing the Respect@work report recommendations, including funding for Working Women’s Centres to provide advice on gender issues in the workplace, for education and compliance with the new sexual harassment legislation and for the establishment of a workplace sexual harassment resource centre.
- increasing childcare subsidies for parents and the expansion of the paid parental leave scheme up to 26 weeks.
- legislating a ban on fixed term contracts to enhance job security for workers.
- the Fair Work Ombudsman to take over the Australian Building and Construction Commission regulatory role and to provide support and advice to small business on the introduction of the new workplace entitlement to 10 days of paid domestic and family violence leave.
- funding for the FWC to handle gender equity pay cases, tackle sexual harassment, provide proactive support to workers and small businesses to help reach agreements and enhance processing of small claims.
- supporting an update of enterprise bargaining for small businesses.
- building a Carer Friendly Workplace Framework to support employers who manage employees with caring responsibilities.
Take Out Point: The Federal Government has a busy agenda regarding workplace issues and has budgeted to implement their plans. Watch this space.